For those of you wishing to follow this blog, here is a glossary to help you get up to speed, especially with some of the Welsh Valleys terminology. It’ll be added to where required, over the coming days, weeks & months. Some of the below has been generated due to public demand.
If you have any requests, please comment…..
- Boxing day – The day that follows Christmas day, the 26th of December.
- BKK – Bangkok International Airport – Suvarnabhumi
- Blue Book – Our little book of travel notes and things to do lists.O&G – Oil & Gas.
- BTS – The sky train, an above ground metro system, highly efficient.
- NLT – No literal translation.
- Insanity – High intensity. Max interval training programme.
- K – A thousand, usually in relation to money.
- K7 – Pentax semi professional digital SLR camera.
- RoK – Republic of Kazakhstan, my 2nd home !
- Teletext – Television information system created in the 1970’s. A scrolling feed of information in text format.
- The fkin book – Facebook.
- Tuk Tuk – A form of transport. A rickshaw with an engine
- WTF – are u serious? everyone knows wtf !
- Ach-Ooo-Yet – NLT, more meaningful than Yebat.
- Kanyeshna – Certainly, 100% sure!
- Reklama – Advertisement.
- Yebat – Speechless, in Awe.
- A bit tup – dull, not bright.
- Blotto – super drunk.
- Bog – Toilet.
- Bollocky – Naked.
- Bow – strongbow cider.
- Chicken oriental – fucking mental.
- Drive – the person who is driving the form of public transport you are currently using. This term is always used affectionately.
- Dull – a bit tup.
- Fatties leg – Fucking fucked. A line from the cult Welsh movie, Twin Town.
- Gander – a general scope about an area, without a plan.
- Grub – food.
- Juice – petrol, gas, benzine. Can also be used to describe battery level on your phone “I got no juice”.
- Physio – Physiotherapy.
- Rock n roll – cockney slang for the dole. A government hand out to the unemployed.
- Skinny Dipping – To bathe totally naked.
- Spew – to vomit.
- Sheep Shagger – A term the welsh are often called, sometimes by themselves. Reason : 10million sheep and 1.5mill women.
- The boys – Mates from back home.
- The Shits – the need of constant use of the bog. Some times combined with spewing.
- Trecco bay – a large caravan park on the South Welsh coast, highly populated by people from the valleys.